Smoking has become a major problem, especially, in those areas that as densely populated. Some people are addicted to smoking, and they cannot be isolated from non-smokers. The problem is the conflict that arises between smokers enjoying their cigarettes in areas where non-smokers live.
In order to prepare an argumentative essay on smoking in public places, the writer must consider several factors:
- One of these factors is the laws and regulations that govern any country. The writer needs to read extensively relevant materials that explain what the law of the land is regarding smoking. Some countries allow smokers and nonsmokers to mix without any problem, regardless of whether one is smoking in congested areas or not. In such countries, smokers are expected make ethical decisions and think about the effect of their smoke on the people who do not smoke.
- Another point the argumentative essay should explain is whether there is any law that forbids smokers from using cigarettes in public. In such countries, the law explains where smoking zones are located, if any, and the punishment that smokers should face if they break the law by smoking in non-smoking zones.
- In any argumentative essay, the writer should be able to show the contradicting views of people. For instance, in the argumentative essay on smoking in public places, the writer should explain what the consequences are for not setting up smoking zones. The reason is that some people may argue that smoking in public places has no negative effects that warrant its ban, while others may argue out that smoking in public places is so bad and dangerous that governments should ban it completely in towns.
- The writer should not present just the legislation, or desired future legislation. This does not get to the root of the argument, it rather illustrates that there is an argument. What are needed are the clear roots of the argument to be exposed and debated. These roots are primarily based in health concerns. The claims that second hand smoke leads to serious health problems must be the strong focus. Voices for and against this position must be clearly presented. In addition, you must back legal arguments using the legal framework in existence in good detail. Generalizations of the laws and their background will not be strong enough. The essay should not consider only one side of the debate, as this is a major clash between millions of people and governments worldwide. It is emotive, and controversial.
- One can also add the major economic consequences of smoking and not smoking. Governments raise enormous amounts of tax on cigarette sales, hundreds of thousands of people work in the cigarette industry directly and millions indirectly. This versus the cost to the economy of smoking related diseases will add an interesting dimension to the argument.
Following such steps will help you write a powerful and successful essay. If you still need assistance – you can get a custom argumentative essay at CustomWritings.com.
5.00 avg. rating (91% score) - 1 vote
Tags: argumentative essays, Smoking in Public Places essay
Should Cigarette Smoking Be Banned: Argumentative Essay Topics
Smoking is an interesting topic to write about for students and for readers to read. Even though some people in the world might believe, it is useless addiction, waste of money, harmful to health and there is no gain, but for many people who have a personal experience with smoking it is an undeniable fact of their lives. You can write your paper for both type of target audiences and show what you feel about the subject. However, it is important for you to back your stance with strong logical and factual data. You cannot simply state that smoking is good or bad because you think so or you have had a bad personal experience with it. You need to carry out research and find out enough medical facts, research data, firsthand information, second hand information, financial stats and other information about the topic.
One important thing to keep in mind is that the paper you write needs to be very well thought out and informative. It is essential to offer good value to your readers who take time out to read your paper. You may be writing this essay for an academic purpose so you need to make sure it is strong enough to help you score a good grade. If you are writing this paper for a journal then you need to make sure you meet their requirements of length, body, data, relevant points, format etc.
The topic of your paper is critical because it helps the readers decide whether they will read the rest of your paper or not. If you are not able to hook the audience in your topic, then do not expect them to stick to your paper for long. If they develop an interest in your paper, then they will be likely happy to read it until the end
Argumentative essay topics on smoking
Below is a list of interesting argumentative essay topics about smoking. You do not have to use them as is but alter or edit them to write a unique title for your paper
- Passive smoking is dangerous for pregnant mothers if they are non-smokers
- Active smoking mothers have babies with higher tendency to be a smoker when they grow up
- Smoking is not as bad as people perceive it is
- Smoking helps keep people productive
- Cigarettes might represent the strength of character